These four-legged, big-eyed creatures are among the most popular crochet animal patterns. It’s no surprise because crochet frogs are adorable and simple to make. As a result, they are a popular choice for beginners who want to experiment with amigurumi crochet patterns.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for free frog crochet patterns! We’ve gathered a collection of frog patterns that range from cute and cartoonish to realistic.
These crochet patterns are available in a variety of skill levels, from beginner to intermediate to advanced. They can be simple and quick to complete, or complex and take days. It all depends on the difficulty level of the pattern you choose.
Frogs represent transformation and change. This is because their life stages change dramatically, from eggs to tadpoles to fully-grown frogs. Aside from making adorable stuffed frogs, these free crochet patterns are perfect for commemorating the start of a new chapter in your life. They also make great gifts for anyone going through a transition.
How to crochet a frog?
The majority of the crochet patterns on this list will require you to have some basic crochet knowledge, such as knowing how to make basic stitches. If you need assistance or a refresher on crochet basic, you can refer to the complete guide to crochet for beginners.
If you’ve never made an amigurumi before, this tutorial will show you how to crochet animal amigurumi.
Read the pattern carefully and follow the instructions exactly to make an enjoyable crochet amigurumi frog. I’ve also learned from experience that amigurumi patterns rarely tell you to keep a tight stitch tension and stuff the crochet piece so that it holds its shape, so make sure you do.
What do you need for a frog crochet pattern?
- Use the yarn specified in the pattern. If no yarn weight is specified, always use DK, light-worsted, or worsted yarn.
- Cotton yarn produced a softer and more supple crochet animal, whereas acyclic yarn resulted in a more durable crochet animal.
- Crochet Hook
- Again, use the crochet hook size specified in the pattern. Otherwise, for DK and light-worsted yarn, use 2.5 mm, and for worsted yarn, use 3 mm.
- To crochet an amigurumi, we usually go down one or two hook sizes from the yarn label.
- Stitch Markers
- These are helpful tools for marking stitches, especially the first stitch of the pattern’s round. They are available in a range of colors and styles.
- Another option is to mark the stitch with a strip of yarn scrap.
- Tapestry Needle
- A tapestry needle is just a needle that is bigger, longer, and has a blunter tip. It’s used to sew the pieces of an amigurumi together.
- This is essential to help you cut off your yarn.
- Measuring Tape
- Helpful, but usually, you do not need it if you are following a crochet pattern.
- Polyfil – fiberfill stuffing
- It is a stuffing material to fill up the amigurumi frog.
- Some patterns will use a sewing kit to sew on details, whereas others will use adhesive to glue on the details, such as eyes and bows.
How to substitute the amigurumi yarn size if I don’t have the yarn size specified in the tutorial?
Answer: You can actually substitute any amigurumi yarn into any pattern that you’d like.
For example, if you only have a finer yarn, you’ll need to use a smaller hook, and you’ll end up with a smaller amigurumi and vice versa. Check this detailed tutorial to learn more in-depth on how to substitute yarn size in amigurumi.
How do I add character to crochet frogs?
Answer: A great way to add character to your frogs is by adding details.
For example, you can give your frog a cheeky, grinning face with a tongue out, a blushing face with red cheeks, etc. All these little details will give your crochet frogs a personality, some sass, and a whole lot of life. For even more personalization, you can give them some bows, ribbons, and clothing.
Looking for more frog crochet patterns? Check out our curated list of crochet frog hats that will definitely tickle your fancy!
- Start crocheting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @madefromyarn, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Crochet List.
- Share with your crochet groups for a crochet-along event.
- Browse more free crochet patterns to make.
29 Free Crochet Frog Patterns
Lovely pastel mini frogs that will make everyone smile. Realistic frogs appear to be ready to leap at any moment. This list of free crochet patterns includes all of these and more.